Large meals, acidic foods, tobacco, alcohol, excess weight, stress or medication. The causes of heartburn are multiple, but so are the ways to relieve pain. We offer some tips to help you do this.
Help, it hurts!
There are many natural remedies and simple solutions that you can introduce into your daily life.
- Drink 1 cup of water or alkaline vegetable juice (carrot, cucumber, beetroot and radish).
- Chew gum to secrete more saliva, which fights acidity.
- Drink one to several herbal teas, as indicated. Among the most effective products are ginger, mint, anise, cinnamon, cardamom and marshmallow root.
- Eat a banana when you are in pain or in prevention.
- Put 1 tablespoon of baking soda and a dash of lemon juice in a glass of water and drink before the effervescence stops.
- Mix apple cider vinegar (2 spoons) with 60ml of water to prevent acidity 30 minutes after the meal.
- Consume 1oz of aloe vera juice mixed with 2oz of water.
- Eat oats for breakfast (oatmeal).
- Have a fat-free yogurt on hand every day.
What are the habits to be changed?
- Avoid fatty or acidic foods.
- Reduce or stop smoking and drinking.
- Eat less, but more often.
- Lose your excess weight.
- Avoid consuming food at least 3 hours before bedtime.
- Raise your pillows to sleep at a higher angle.
- Lie on your left side to help your stomach remove acid.
- Replace your table salt (acid) with sea salt (alkaline).
- Eat foods rich in glutamine: eggs, milk, fish, spinach.
Products against acidity in pharmacies
If natural remedies are not enough, products are available over-the-counter in pharmacies to temporarily regulate excessive stomach acid. Do not hesitate to ask the pharmacist for advice, since there are a large number of products (Maalox, Tums, Rolaid, Gaviscon, Zantac, Pepto Bismol, etc.)
Burns persist despite everything
It is time to make an appointment with the doctor if the pain refuses to leave, even after a week.
Several symptoms can be added, at this stage, to heartburn. These include discomfort in the abdomen, altered voice and poor appetite, difficulty swallowing and weight loss.